Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Learning Unit #1 - Reflection

All of my learning units are meant for high school aged students with disabilities that have been placed in an inclusive, general education classroom.

For my first learning unit, I decided to create a project that included tools a student with mild intellectual disabilities would be capable of and would find useful as real world skills. My unit had the student working as a travel agent that would brainstorm, plan, and budget a vacation. The student would use web-based tools to brainstorm vacation destinations. The students would also have to research online how much their selected vacation would cost and create a budget for that vacation. After creating a budget, as the travel agent, the student would then need to make the planned vacation appeal to customers by creating a virtual tour of their vacation destination using Google Maps and an advertisement using Glogster.

For this first learning unit, I found it difficult to come up with an initial idea as the focus for the projects / web-based assignments. Once I was able to brainstorm my initial idea, choosing the tools and incorporating them into assignments became easier.

The only thing I would consider changing on this Learning Unit would be the tool used for the student to create the budget. I would prefer if the student could use a more math based tool, such as Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet, or something similar to show off their math skills.

Something I was surprised about was the features available on Google Maps to create your own points of interest and basically, a virtual tour, as I used it in my assignment.

Learning Unit #1

No comments:

Post a Comment